You know that social media is prevalent when jobs start requiring their employees to have an account. There are a lot of great benefits to having a social media account. It allows you to network, boost your business, and stay connected to family and friends. But how do you know when you’re using social media way too much? If 3 or more of the warning signs below apply to you, then you know that it’s time to give social media a break.
You’re spending too much time on social media if:
- You start to compare your life to people on your friend’s list. Nobody’s life is perfect, don’t let the Photoshop and filters on Instagram fool you. If you start to look at people’s pages with envy, there is a serious problem. Don’t think that someone else’s life or their possessions will make you happy, true happiness starts from within.
- You’re having arguments with your significant other over the amount of time you spend on social media. If your significant other is complaining that you spend way too much time online, it’s probably true. Don’t mess up your real life relationship for an online façade.
- Your kids are getting neglected. If you get frustrated with your kids for interrupting you while you’re in the middle of watching your YouTube videos, maybe you need to pay more attention to them and not the computer.
- You’ve become a creeper. You’re not posting anything on Facebook, but you lurk around on other people’s pages for hours. You start to feel like you’ve been knowing these people forever just based off their posts. If you know everything about a person’s life that you rarely ever spoke to in real life, you are a creeper. Stop it!
- You’re sometimes late for work because you lost track of time while scrolling through your newsfeed. Whatever’s on your Vine account will be there later, it’s not that serious.
- You can’t do anything without posting it first. Because everyone knows that if you didn’t post it, it didn’t really happen, right? I mean come on, you can leave the picture of your half eaten burger off the internet. I’m sure it tasted just as good as it would have even if you didn’t post a pic of it.
- You’re constantly posting pictures to get compliments/validation. If you’re posting pics with a face full of makeup, looking like you just left the salon with a caption that reads “I woke up like this” you’re lying. Stop fishing for compliments. There’s nothing wrong with being proud, but you know when you’re over doing your pictures just for your online friends to validate you.
- The first thing you do when you wake up in the morning is check your newsfeed. Get your morning routine done first and get off to work on time. If you have extra time in the morning, then check you Pinterest. It’ll be there all day.
- The last thing you do at night before you go to bed is check your newsfeed. If you’re checking your updates before bed, I can almost bet that it takes you an extra 30 minutes or so to fall asleep afterward. Those bright lights from your phone right before bed cannot be good for your eyes.
- You have to check in every time you go somewhere (The gym, a restaurant, the store, the airport). We get it, you go places. We don’t have to know your whereabouts at all times. As a matter of fact, it’s probably best not to post that sort of information at all, there’s no telling who’s creeping around on your page.
If you can identify with 3 or more of the above signs, you are spending way too much time on social media. Consider cutting back some before you ruin your life, in real life.
Do you have any more to add to the list? List them below in the comment section.by